After we got my anniversary chicks, Lucy and Ethel, and after Sky and I built their brooder, there was still the issue of a coop for when these girls were big enough to spread their wings and do their things (like laying eggs!–but not for a while). Shortly after they were settled into their brooder, Todd got to work on designing and building a coop for them. He not only designed and built a coop–he actually planned a ‘barn’ of sorts for the chicks and the bunnies to live in! It turned out lovely, and it’s going to provide all of the needs for all of our little girls. Here’s a few pics of the progress and the results:
The initial framing of the coop. Todd decided to use the back and side walls of two sheds we have in the back yard.
Adding the door. Since it’s made from 2x4s, it’s nice and heavy, but not too much so. Just enough to keep other animals out….and us in. Matter of fact, I’ve been locked in a few times already. Gotta figure out how to remedy that problem. Thankfully Todd was nearby still, or I’d have been spending the night in the chicken coop!
This is the old location of the bunnies’ hutch, as shared a few weeks ago. Remember? This is alongside our house, behind the patio.
And here is the new location, right next to the chicken coop. Todd raised up the other rabbit hutch to be level with Alice and Michelle’s, and it all looks pretty nice. This new area is behind our house, and is now being called “the barn”, even though it’s not really a barn. It sure feels like one though, with all our little animals in there. We’ve even got electricity out there for the brooder light and the fan, and some misters for the inevitable 100 degree days we’ll be having over summer. I think it’s going to work out perfectly, and being that it’s under a large awning, it should stay pretty cool back there for everyone.
Here are the girls, checking out the second floor. They spend most of their time on the bottom floor because they are not yet able to navigate the ladder very well.
Here they are, not navigating very well. Mostly all they do is stand on it. They learn so quickly that I’m sure they’ll get the hang of it in a few days.
Another ladder pic. I think it’s kind of slippery for them. I’m thinking of putting some grip tape on the ladder, or perhaps sanding it with coarse sandpaper or something. I’m open for ideas if you’ve got any to share.